poeticwaxing

I wish I could say that this will take on some sort of coherent theme or style, but I know it won't. It will likely consist of whatever's in my head at the moment, which is subject to change at the speed of sound...

Friday, August 11, 2006

My Pet Peeves

I am not difficult. I don't have many. But the ones I do have, well, they bother me a lot. And I guess some of them might not even be too rational....but hey, they are MY pp's, and they're not going away anytime soon. Please don't judge me.

1) When people chew highly odiferous gum in a movie theatre (or other enclosed space). Those of you who know me well know I am not a big gum fan. It's quite a handicap, as the rest of the world seems to enjoy it just fine. I think its gross, I hate the way it smells, and I hate the way Britney Spears seems to think its perfectly acceptable to chew on it madly and constantly, especially during a television interview. I have been known to chew some Juicy Fruit or other mild flavors from time to time (although rarely). The gum that bothers me most is the Extra-type, the ones that you could detect from a couple of states away. To add insult to injury, when I am sitting in a movie for a good two hours I think its just rude to cram my nasal passages with that smelly mint. I mean, I can't even taste my popcorn, for God's sake! Seriously, something that odorous and strong has no business happening within a 1/2 mile of anyone eating anything. I don't mean to offend anyone, as I know many people do this. I just really do feel this strongly about it! It's kind of like smoking; I feel it should be relegated to the outdoors. (Even then it would bother me, but I'm trying to offer an olive branch here).

2)Dry Hands I don't know why, but when the skin on my hands gets even a little dry, I feel icky inside. I can't explain it, I just have to get some hand cream pronto.

3)Conventional Toothpaste Yup, this one correlates with #1 above. I cannot tolerate the smell of conventional toothpaste brands such as Crest or Colgate. They are just so spicy and strong. I don't know what created this aversion for me, I should probably pay a Psychologist a pretty penny to figure it out. I remember coming home from Australia on our honeymoon, breathe and I were lucky enough to get bumped to business class because we told the Quantas airline agent that we just got married. It was wonderful having a comfortable recliner seat and our own personal video screens, but the experience was ruined for me because we were seated in the row directly behind the bathrooms. All night, (this is a 15-hour flight, mind you), I was bombarded by the constant smell of people brushing their teeth. In case you're wondering, I use Therabreath brand toothpaste, which has a soft,mild, natural peppermint flavor. I also like Tom's of Maine. I have often joked to breathe that his cooperation in this matter has saved us from divorce court (he uses Therabreath as well, at my request).

4) Super-bright spotlights on my yard. We just moved into our new house, and I love our new backyard. However, sometimes, when we are out on our deck late at night enjoying the sounds of the crickets, our back-door neighbor likes to turn on her bright, obnoxious super-duper spotlight that blinds me. When this light is on, it cancels out anything else in your field of vision. Okay, it has only happened a couple of times, but it is a pet peeve of mine, and I am in venting mode.

5) People flicking cigarette butts out of their car window. This needs no explanation. It is completely asinine, on many levels. First of all, if you're driving behind this person, you can get startled by this flash of light on your windshield, and possibly crash your car. This may sound extreme, but if the wind blows it towards your car a certain way, it can happen. Secondly, if my window is open, guess what? That hot ashy thing can fly right onto my arm or into my eye, or onto my car seats. Thirdly, the world is not your garbage can, people. I realize that using your car ashtray creates a horrible stench. But that is one of the consequences of being a smoker, so deal with it. At least try not to do it when you're moving at 40 mph!

These are just pet peeves, which means they are minor things that irk me. I do have many deeper concerns, such as child abuse, world hunger and war-mongering. But I'm not getting into those things....yet. I promise this blog will not turn into a negativity-fest. Stay tuned for my Pet Loves, coming soon.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jim V said...

I didn't even know this could be a pet peeve, but I have one for you along the lines of your #5.

I was biking Sunday morning. It was beautiful, cool, and I was able to watch the sun rise during the first 5 miles or so of the ride.

I passed by a White Castle. Then a little bit down the road, I saw a little Slider box (the little one the burger is served in).

No big deal... someone dropped it by accident.

Then a half-mile later, another one. A little further along, another. And another, and another, and finally another.

Over the course of a few miles, someone had simply chowed down on their Sliders and tossed the box out the window after finishing each one. On purpose!!!! Ugh!

If this is not a sign of the impending apocolypse, I don't know what is.

1:21 PM  
Blogger bill voigt said...

What a truly superb image of Britney!

It may be true that you have a few minor peeves, but a lesson to us all is after a brief release of steam you always seem to just let it go and forget about it.

Let me be the first to say you are by far the most understanding and accepting person I've ever known...for instance: when I'm driving you've saved me with your calm demeanor from many a physical altercation with tailgaters and cell phone yappers who putt along at or below the speed limit while meandering aimlessly to and fro whilst blowing on and drinking from their adult sippy cups filled with piping hot Starbuck's. Without your gentle pull back to a Zen like relaxed place, I'd be eternally stuck in a white knuckled, teeth grinding, pet peeve induced slump for the rest of the day. Truth be told, I often think of your laid back attitude while driving alone, so you help me even when you're not seated next to me. Ahh, it's great being married to you. What would I do w/out you?

HOWEVER...God help us if we ever find ourselves with a cigarette flicking, gum chewing, Starbuck's sipping, lane-meandering cell phone yapper who tailgates hanging on our back bumper.

>8 ^)

1:44 PM  
Blogger Jim V said...

This would be the Java equivalent of leaving two sqaures on the roll... not cool.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Flake said...

Freshmen, the ones straight out of highschool, are one of my pet peeves..

3:27 PM  
Blogger watersoul said...

Its coming soon, Discom...I am working on another post at the moment, though. I have been neglecting this the past week, and I feel bad! Its been a crazy week. Promise next week I'll post more.

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home