poeticwaxing

I wish I could say that this will take on some sort of coherent theme or style, but I know it won't. It will likely consist of whatever's in my head at the moment, which is subject to change at the speed of sound...

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

My Pet Loves











You are listening to "Pictures of You" by the Cure.

Finally, here it is. I know there are so many more I will think of after I post this, but that's just the way it goes!

1. Hearing the organic sounds as fingers change position on a guitar during a song (I’m sure there is an official name for this)
2. Guys wearing backwards baseball caps
3. Twilight
4. A deep, cleansing breath (especially while in a twist yoga pose)
5. Afternoon delights
6. Playing in the rain, not caring if you get wet
7. The smell of freshly-baked, warm chocolate chip cookies
8. The streets of Manhattan after 3am- still hopping!
9. A stolen glance across a room
10. Hugs that last a long time
11. The hour or so before a concert begins when the excitement in the air is palpable
12. When people take the time to fully understand something, instead of making snap judgments
13. Cats’ breath
14. When breathe knows what I am feeling even before I do
15. Hearing crickets chirp at night
16. Cute bunnies running across my lawn, staring at me while they eat
17. Music so loud I can feel the physical vibrations of it-especially dance music!
18. Swimming, alone, far enough out in the ocean that it’s scary, as the awe of nature overcomes you and you feel connected with the sea
19. Spooning
20. Driving in any car with a good stereo, with it turned way up (can you tell I like loud music?)
21. Looking into people’s windows at night while driving by (Just to clarify, I mean seeing families having dinner, seeing how their house is decorated, etc.)
22. Sweatshirt weather

7 Comments:

Blogger Jim V said...

Do you get the impression that The Cure kinda didn't know exactly how to end this song? I always wondered about that. That whole album is good.

The official name for the sound you describe in #1 is the “guitar string squeaky noise”.

Think about planting some strawberries, or another kind of berry. They tend to be pretty easy to deal with, and can be grown in pots. The worst thing about planting berries is that bunnies eat them all the time. Of course, if watching bunnies eat is your GOAL, then that’s not such a bad thing, right?

Between you and Discom, I don’t get the whole pet-breath thing. Do you guys actually have pets?

Sweatshirt weather is on its way sis! I’m already getting ready, organized the sweaters last night, and flipped through the LL Bean catalog to see if there’s a new one out there I should grab. I think it’s time to start rebuilding my college sweatshirt collection.

I'm starting Christmas cookies on October. We gotta hook up. I'm going HUGE this year.

I think I'm gonna go post my own pet loves. This is a great idea.

8:57 AM  
Blogger watersoul said...

Yes, I know exactly what you mean! One time breathe and I were listening to this in the car and I think we commented on the same thing; it's like the ending doesn't match the intensity of the song or something.
"Guitar String Squeaky Noise" works just fine for me!
Actually our garden has raspberry plants in it, but it has rabbit fencing around it, so that doesn't help. I don't know what they're eating, but they sure look cute. I grew up with a cat, and my parents still have one. You mean you don't love cute Tweak's breath on your nose?!
Are you baking cookies now, and freezing them until Christmas? Or are you going to eat them along the way? The second one sounds like much more fun!

11:47 AM  
Blogger bill voigt said...

Jim I've got to say -- you're one organized dude! Organizing your sweatshirts in late August? Planning for Christmas cookie batch sessions in October already? Wauw! Someone's DEFINITELY not in law school anymore. Glad to see you're enjoying the freedom.

Watersoul, I think a lot of our rabbits are eating blades of grass, which is one of the reasons I'm very glad we don't employ the likes of "Chem Lawn" or use weed killer on the lawn. I'd hate to think of some poor furry little rodents getting horribly sick after eating a blade of grass coated with chemicals!

You're right that the rabbit fencing prevents them from getting in our *ahem*"garden" (aka grossly overgrown weed/wild raspberry patch at the moment), so maybe I'll trim some raspberry bush branches and strew them about the yard so the little rabbits get the occasional sweet surprise. I'm sure the squirrels and birds won't mind, either.

>8^)

12:50 PM  
Blogger Jim V said...

I think I'm in lawyer mode where you schedule everything 60 days in advance.

Watersoul, the plan is to bake cookies now and freeze them. However, there must be a rigorous quality control system in place which includes regular sampling of the finished product as well as the batter every step of the way.

Our family and friends deserve no less from us...

P.S. I'm all about bringing a pie.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I'm really impressed with your #12, that you have it on your list of things that you love. I totally agree with that one, I am so amazed (and appreciative) when I encounter someone who really, truly takes the time to listen and ponder and formulate a point of view based on understanding... they don't have to come to my side. (But it's so much better when they do! Ha!!) I try to be this way and am often chastised for being too inquisitive... but, how else do we fully learn? "Seek first to understand..."

7:00 AM  
Blogger watersoul said...

Glad you also appreciate this one, mrs. goodneedle.
It's so great when someone really takes that time to understand ALL of something- the world be a much better place if there was more of this going on!
"The one who asks the most questions, learns the most."

6:35 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Herein lies the "rub"... there's a fine line between inquiring to gain understanding and asking too many questions (with most people...), reference to being chastised-- you can learn this from me. "Seek first to understand" is one of Steven Covey's 7 Habits, do you know the book? Empathetic listening is the practice he proposes for the gaining of understanding, it's a skill I work on (or try to!) every day, with varying levels of success. With me, there's always room for improvement!!

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home