poeticwaxing

I wish I could say that this will take on some sort of coherent theme or style, but I know it won't. It will likely consist of whatever's in my head at the moment, which is subject to change at the speed of sound...

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Things That Have Surprised Me Recently



by Paul Oakenfold

There's nothing like a little surprise here and there in life, to make things interesting. I've had a couple of surprises lately, thought I'd go ahead and share them.
1. Now, to be clear, I am NOT a Dr. Phil fan in any way, shape, or form. However, I recently picked up this magazine, and I noticed an article written by his wife, Robin McGraw. I normally wouldn't read an article like this by someone like her, to be honest, but I was, uhmm, how shall I say this and still preserve my dignity? well, lets just say I needed something to occupy my mind for several minutes. (sorry!) It was an excerpt from her book, "Inside My Heart", and it really surprised me in that she actually had some decent and interesting things to say. It was actually sort of funny too, in the examples she used. Basically, the point of the book can be summed up in the following paragraph. Now, at first glance it may sound like a bunch of Dr Phil B.S., but the way she wrote it, it seemed genuine and insightful.
"There will always be people who tell you who you should be and what you should do, but no one can tell you how to live your life because there is no one quite like you. Look inside yourself with open eyes and see who's really in there- not your mother or your father, not your husband or your children, but you. Go deep, really deep, until you find the essential person inside, the person God created. [actually she said woman, but I am taking the liberty to change it to person. this is good wisdom for all.] See yourself, embrace yourself, and honor yourself by insisting on your right to choose the life you are meant to live." Amen, sister!

2. My next surprise was that I surprised myself. I had my first "quiz" in piano class on Wednesday, and I was pretty nervous about it, as it was the first time I really had to play for someone other than myself. I practiced a decent amount of time, and knew the very elementary book music somewhat well. When I got to class, I was caught off guard because my teacher decided to give us all 2 entirely new pieces of music we had never seen before, to be played with both hands at the same time (gasp!something we hadn't done yet, at all) and asked us to pick one, practice it for 5 minutes, and then she'd go around the room to hear us play it. Ok, instant panic. But, I was actually able to read the music and play it! I couldn't really believe it. I guess sometimes we don't know what we're capable of until we just do it.

3. My sister is responsible for this one. She called me on Thursday, and after I picked up the phone and said hello, she just said, "I love you, Paula!". No reason for it, nothing prompting her to say it. It felt really good to hear it. I told her I loved her too, and then we proceeded to have our usual conversations about whatever. What a nice surprise.

4. Came down to the kitchen this morning, looked out my window, and found that our metal birdfeeder had been attacked, presumably by some starving squirrels. Some type of determined animal found a way to pop out the bottom of the feeder, extract the large block of waxy birdseed, and haul it away. Well, I don't mind as long as someone who really needs it got it.

5. I surprised myself in yet another way. I actually went to order my business cards. I have decided to open a spa out of my home, offering waxing and facial services, called....what else?...poetic waxing. Finally going to do it!

Hope you've had some nice surprises in your life recently. If not, go out and make some happen! :) :)

6 Comments:

Blogger Floyd's Lists said...

Floyd thanks you for dropping by his site but is terribly confused by yours. Floyd cordially invites you to begin making sense.

12:01 AM  
Blogger watersoul said...

nope. same as it ever was!

11:05 AM  
Blogger Jim V said...

A couple of thoughts:

First impression of this song: I don't like it. Then at about paragraph 2 I notice I've engaged in involuntary head bobbing. End result: good song. And for goodness sake, I need to be more open minded about music. Geeez...

Congrats on the piano quiz. As I was reading, my mouth literally dropped open at the thought of an impromptu new song with only five minutes to prepare. Ugh! Nice work hopping over that hurdle.

Super huge congrats on the spa. But we need to talk, Sis. Call me on this one before people start coming in the door. There's some legal stuff you want in place before you start pouring hot wax on people.

Finally, your reaction to squirrels eating your birdseed is similar to mine. They actually chew through the rope on my hanging feeder to send it crashing to the ground to get to the food. Now it's a chain, HA HA! Chew on that, suckers...

But Lisa's reaction is slightly different. It usually is something like, "Those yard rats need to all be killed!!"

That's my sweetie. Gotta love her.

5:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez. Hope I remember I can't eat your birdseed anymore.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Flake said...

Awesome, I had not checked your blog for a new post for a while. I have heard that song before. There is something to be said when someone posts a song in a place like this, to really listen. Music on the radio is great, but I rarely really listen to the lyrics.

I was a little overwhelmed with the other songs from previous posts starting automatically when I hit the play button for this one(coincodence they all started simultaniously, I know). I had to quicly hit the pause button on the others. If Breathe needs the commands to disable auto start on the previous ones, they are "false" and "0" respectively...

Sounds like you are doing well. Mom and Dad are on the road, eager to see you on Sunday.

3:07 PM  
Blogger watersoul said...

Hey Kyle,
part of it may be that you are using firefox. IE doesn't do that, if I understand correctly.
Your P's just left, we had a blast! It was great to see them here in our neck of the woods..
P

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home